Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

 

The Hospitals of the Highlands – the list

(August 2017)

The date shown is when the hospital was first opened and they are listed under their original function.

General Hospitals

Royal Northern Infirmary   1804

Was main regional hospital. Now Community.

Town and County Nairn  1847

New build in 1906. Now Community.

Belford, Fort William  1865

Replaced with a new build on a new site in 1965.

Gesto, Edinbane, Skye  1878

Closed 2006 and in-patients transferred to Portree.

Ross Memorial, Dingwall  1873

Now mainly Community but also has Rheumatology which was transferred from the Nicholson Mackenzie Hospital in Strathpeffer.

Invergarry  1880

Never more than a base for the district nurse. Closed 1950.

Dunbar, Thurso  1883

Almshouse until 1920s. Important for maternity in the 1960s and 1970s. Now Community.

Ian Charles, Grantown  1885

New maternity wing in 1923.  One of the first hospitals in Scotland to have doctor's surgery attached. Now Community.

Cromarty 1894

District nurse was also matron.  Many naval cases until the end of WW1. Mainly maternity from the 1930s. Closed 1953.

Lawson Memorial, Golspie  1900

Retained surgical services until the 1990s.  Cambusavie wing opened in 1989 and Cambusavie Hospital in-patients transferred. Now Community.

Bignold,  Wick  1903

Empasis on surgery.  Closed 1986 and in-patients transferred to Caithness General.

John Martin, Uig, Skye  1907

Mainly maternity by 1940s. In-patients transferred to Portree in 1964.

Mackinnon, Broadford  1914

Did all surgery in Skye from the 1950s. Major expansion in 1960s.

Pope, Helmsdale  1935

Closed 1939. Reopened 1949-74 for maternity but too small to be viable.

Portree  1964

Maternity and geriatric.

Caithness General  1966

Opened as Caithness Central. Major expansion 1985.

 

Infectious Diseases

Nairn  1910

Used former Town & County building.

Citadel, Inverness  1877

Cholera, smallpox and later TB. Unused by 1920s.

Burnside, Thurso  1880s

Exact date established unknown but existed in 1891. Closed 1911.

Wick Combination  1866

Hospital on this site from the 1860s. Replaced by Town and County in 1910.

Ross Memorial, Portree  1892

Closed to admissions by early 1950s. Closed 1965.

Battengorm, Carrbridge  1893

Set up for railway construction workers. Closed by 1900.

Achmore, Daviot  1893

Set up for railway construction workers. Closed by 1900.

Smallpox, Wick  1901

Closed by 1930.

Ballachulish ID  1901

Geriatric by 1950. Closed 1953.

Smallpox, Waternish  1904

Possibly never used.  Destroyed in gale in 1919.

Victoria, Fort William  1904

Closed 1930s.

Cambusavie, Sutherland  1906

Geriatric by 1970.  In-patients transferred to Lawson in 1989.

Meadowside, Kincraig  1906

Unused by mid 1930s.

Lochcarron  1907

Closed by mid 1930s.

Town and County, Wick  1910

Now Geriatric and Community.

Smallpox, Nigg  1920

Opened to deal with smallpox outbreak at Fortrose. Closed the same year.

County, Invergordon  1917

Naval until 1921, mainly TB until 1970s then Geriatric and now Community.

Culduthel, Inverness  1917

Became main specialist fever hospital for the Highlands. Closed 1990.

 

Pulmonary Tuberculosis (TB)

Inverness-shire Sanatorium  1907

Very remote and rarely fully utilised. Closed 1951.

Seaforth, Maryburgh  1907

Children’s hospital after 1922.  Children’s home 1949-80s.

Grampian Sanatorium (St Vincents)  1901

Geriatric from 1956 when it was renamed St Vincents.

 

Maternity Hospitals

Families Hospital Fort George  1913

Closed 1956.

Henderson Memorial  1931

Closed 1980. Only geriatric after 1978.

Ida Merry, Inverness  1926

Closed 1940 when Rosedene opened.

Rosedene, Inverness  1940

Closed 1951 when Raigmore maternity wards opened.

 

Poorhouses

Inverness  1846

In Dunbar’s. Muirfield from 1861. Became Hilton Hospital.

Easter Ross Combination  1850

Became Arthurville, Tain. Closed 1980s.

Latheron Combination  1854

Closed 1950.

Ness House Fortrose  1860

Closed 1944. Patients to Arthurville.

Thurso Combination  1856

Closed 1918.

Skye Union, Portree  1859

Closed 1930. Became school hostel.

Nairn Union  1861

Became Balblair Home. Closed late 1970s.

Sutherland Combination (Swordale)  1863

Became Migdale Hospital. New building 2010.

 

Mental Health

Englishton Asylum  1859

Small private asylum. Closed 1866

Craig Dunain  1864

Closed 2000.

Craig Phadrig  1969

Closed 2000.

New Craigs  2000

 

Wartime (temporary hospitals listed separately)

Glencoe House  1941

Maternity 1948-56 then general (mainly geriatric later). Closed 2009.

Raigmore  1941

Site of all major expansion since 1948.

Forse House  1947

Post war residential home.

 

Convalescent Homes

Bona Convalescent Home  1894

Closely linked to RNI. Closed 1918.

Nairn (Northern Counties) Convalescent Home  1882

New building in 1893. Closed 2004.

 

Others

Nicolson Mackenzie, Strathpeffer  1896

Rheumatism. Linked to Spa treatment initially. Closed 1993. Transferred to Ross Memorial.

Forbes Dispensary, Inverness  1832

Redundant with NHS. Closed 1949.

 

Click for Map